Thank you for being part of this community which is provided by the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP). To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and shared files and content to that best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions should be directed to our community administrator via the Contact Us link on this site.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. In order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate participation in this community for anyone who violates these rules.
Users are expected to be kind, polite, helpful, and respectful. We understand that online communication can be misinterpreted, and unintentional harm may occur. Please be mindful of your language and be open to feedback. We ask that every member take responsibility to help moderate the content of our forum. This is YOUR space, so let’s tend to this space together.
- Be professional - don’t challenge or attack others. The discussions and comments are meant to stimulate conversation; not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- Messages must be posted directly by the member (with the exception of messages pertaining to official business of the College posted by staff on behalf of the Board of Directors or the Council Officers). ACEP staff may not post messages on behalf of members; however, if you have problems utilizing the site, please direct questions to the community administrator via the Contact Us link on this site and we will assist you.
- All messages must add to the body of knowledge and be relevant to the community and discussion thread.
- Posts to the All Member Community should be on topics of relevance and importance to emergency medicine, or it may be removed by staff.
- Keep conversations "member to member." engagED is a peer-to-peer forum for information-sharing. Please do not use community discussions as a venue for providing direct feedback to ACEP, or as a means to effect organizational change. (We encourage you to provide your comments on ACEP Policy or other matters to ACEP leadership via the Contact Us link on this site.)
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the discussion groups and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to defamation and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, inflammatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Remember that ACEP and other participants have the right to reproduce postings.
- Participants are expected to use sound judgment and always exhibit professionalism when using engagED and are encouraged to use the "Flag as Inappropriate" feature to identify posts for review or removal. ACEP reserves the right to reject any message for any reason.
- Job openings/postings are not allowed. Employers are encouraged to advertise emergency physician jobs on emCareers, ACEP's job board. Chapter and Section leadership may allow the promotion of jobs posted on emCareers via their own communities.
- Contributions must be free of promotional messages (including but not limited to, promotion of products, market research services, training, and events), and all sales activities are strictly prohibited. This includes messages posted to discussion boards and messages sent directly to an individual.
- Participants must refrain from using the community as a sales and/or marketing outlet. Unsolicited promotional posts are not allowed and will be removed.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities on engagED. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating “noise.” Do not spam several lists, libraries, or individuals with the same message.
- While ACEP avidly supports scholarly research, participants may not use the All Member community to conduct market research, research surveys, or academic studies. Chapter and Section leadership may administer these decisions for their own communities.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation, location.
Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information that everyone can benefit from.
Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in every message.
Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings.
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the emergency medicine specialty by ACEP. ACEP is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by ACEP or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event, shall ACEP be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants ACEP, and users of this site the non-exclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
All postings must be in compliance with applicable state and federal privacy laws, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
ACEP does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of ACEP via email to the community advisor, ACEP will take all appropriate action.
ACEP reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
We reserve the right to modify the Terms and Conditions from time to time at our sole discretion. If we make changes to the Terms and Conditions, we will announce and post such changes on the site. By continuing to use the site after such notice is posted, you are bound by the Terms and Conditions as modified with respect to all your subsequent uses of the site.
Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address will not be released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside of our organization except as noted below.
With Whom Do We Share the Personal Information We Collect Through This Site:
Our Service Providers
We may share your personal information with companies (including our affiliates) that perform services on our behalf, for example, companies that help process credit card payments. Our service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the personal information we share with them and to use it only to provide specific services on our behalf.
By using the engagED communities, users acknowledge that their primary email address may be accessible by administrators of communities that they join, or by peers that they directly respond to via email.
ACEP‘s online directory provides access for members to contact other members through engagED. Members can choose to exclude their Personal Information from the directory at any time. Members manage their Privacy Settings through their engagED profile under My Account.
Government and Legal Disclosures
We may disclose the personal information we collect through this Site, when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law (or a court order or subpoena); to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to enforce our Terms and Conditions or other agreements that govern your use of this Site; or to protect the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, or others.
Remember The Risks Whenever You Use The Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition, other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies. For any other information please contact us using the Contact Us page.
ACEP reserves the right to moderate individuals or terminate access for any participant who does not abide by these guidelines.